Author Topic: Tunes from the tune swap workshop  (Read 9256 times)

daveywad

• Global Moderator
Tunes from the tune swap workshop
« on: August 26, 2013, 06:22:30 PM »
Here's "Bubbling Wine", the first of a series of tunes that were played/taught in Daniel Schoenfeld's workshop.  Thanks to Chris Roe for the transcriptions!

yarrowflute

Re: Tunes from the tune swap workshop
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 11:47:01 PM »
This is great.  6 months to go, 13 tunes to learn (or remember). Off we go!

yarrowflute

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 09:18:12 PM »
Here's another of the tunes taught last March; it's a dandy little jig called "Emmet's Hedgehog" The original source was/is Niall Vallely on the album "Beyond Words", but it was brought to of us by fiddler Nancy Grossert from Victoria:

yarrowflute

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 09:33:34 PM »
The next tune is an unusual version of "Fitzgerald's" hornpipe. It was brought to us by Morgan Andersen, who learned it from local musicians while spending time in County Kerry last year:

« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 11:25:50 PM by poobah »

yarrowflute

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 09:21:51 PM »
Posting one of the reels next;  this is "Sweeney's Dream", a deliberately leisurely tune brought to us by Kerry Morse from Nevada City. Thanks again to Chris Roe for the transcription of this and all the other tunes going up here on the Forum:

yarrowflute

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 09:53:33 PM »
Next up, and courtesy of concertina player Tom Lawrence, a reel that he called "The Moving Bogs". Tom told us that he in turn had learned the tune from long-time Irish week veteran fiddler Erin Hennessey:

yarrowflute

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 10:58:36 PM »
Another reel to end off the year; stand by for more tunes between now and the end of February! From Dave Marshall (banjo, bazouki, and guitar wizard from Vancouver BC) comes "Paddy Mill's Fancy". The transcription is Dave's own, and comes from his website: www.fiddletech.com.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:05:20 PM by poobah »

yarrowflute

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 07:57:10 PM »
Only 8 weeks to go; may have to step up the pace a bit here in order to get last year's tunes posted before we start learning new ones! This is actually the FIRST tune from last year's Retreat, and it's a moderately paced jig taught by boxman, Tune Swap moderator, and winemaker Daniel Schoenfield from Cazadero, CA. Daniel calls the tune "Martin Mulvahill's"; and he learned it in turn from fellow box player Mary Rafferty. Mary lives in Co. Waterford with her musician-husband Donal Clancy, was a long-time member of Cherish the Ladies, and is the daughter of the late great East Galway flute player Mike Rafferty:

jordandvm

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 11:05:47 AM »
Greetings all,

I will be attending my first Irish Music week this year and am excited about the event. I see you post your music on this forum in pdf format. I can read music albeit very slowly, so sheet music doesn't help me much. I mainly learn by ear. Is it possible for these tunes to be posted in abc format as well? I can then download them into my iPad Tunebook app and learn the tune from the midi generated by the file. This is the way I learn many of the tunes I play.

Thanks,

Jim
Corvallis, OR

yarrowflute

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 07:41:50 PM »
Jim, I don't know of anyone who actually transcribed last year's tunes in ABC format; since this whole gathering is 'unorganized'  and no one really coordinates anything regularly, we're actually kind of lucky that anyone managed to get them down and send them to us even as pdf's! You may be able to pick up some of these as ABCs by looking them up by name on The Session, or by looking at Dave Marshall's meticulously maintained website (fiddletech.com). They may not all be there, as some of the tunes taught were in fact learned BY ear from their original sources; and the transcriptions you find may vary somewhat from the way they were taught and/or transcribed at Roche Harbor. But you should be able to get at least SOME of them; and don't worry if you are unable to get them all. Most or all of last year's tunes will surface again in this year's sessions, and you can record them and go from there. The Tune Swap is all taught by ear, by the way; so you will be on home turf for learning THIS year's tunes!

jordandvm

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 08:29:58 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I do use the Session.org extensively for downloading tunes in abc format. It's a great resource for ITM. I have already downloaded Dave's tunes in abc format on fiddletech.com.........also a great resource. I have found all the tunes that will be introduced at this years session on TheSession.org. I'm not sure they are the same versions that people gave in notation form. If they are the same, then we're "good to go"!
If not, then I won't be playing the exact same tune as others and I will adjust my playing to match the group.
I have found the abc format to be very helpful in learning new tunes. It's a quick way to get an instant version of a tune without having to print it and file it in a notebook.
If someone suggests a new tune to play at Roche Harbor, maybe they can reference the same version
On TheSession.org and I can get the abc there. I don't expect them to write the abc of the tune themselves.
Thanks for your input!

Jim

yarrowflute

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 11:48:20 PM »
Jim, point of clarification: the tunes that have been/are being posted are LAST year's tunes; if you look back at the original posting on FB and here on the website, you'll see that these were put up as examples of the kinds of tunes that can and will be taught each year, and there's no expectation that they should be learned before this year's retreat. There'll be a whole new batch of tunes this time around, so don't sweat trying to find/learn these ahead of time unless you really want to...they're being put up primarily to remind last year's attendees what we may have forgotten!

yarrowflute

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 12:10:01 AM »
okay: again, from LAST year's Tune Swap, here's a slip jig called "Tighe Rafferty" Taught by Becky Deryckx and Tom Lawrence on concertinas, the tune was written by Irish harpist Michael Rooney from Co Monaghan. Michael is widely known as a composer and performer, and is married to flute player June McCormack; as a duo they are known as "Draiocht". Michael pairs this tune with "Gort na Mona" a slip jig that was taught at Roche Harbor in 2012.

yarrowflute

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 06:29:20 PM »
Only a month to go; so will put up two reels this time. The first is "The Windmill", a tune composed by fiddler Ciaran Tourish of "Altan'; this is another one that was taught by Kerry Morse at last year's Tune Swap. The second reel was taught by Daniel Schoenfeld; called "The New Found Out"; also known as "Aggie Whyte's", "Seamus Connolley's", and The Satin (or Silver) Slipper, it is thought be some to be a Leitrim version of the more familiar "Wind That Shakes the Barley".

yarrowflute

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 07:50:02 PM »
Two more reels coming at you here. The first is called "The Stepping Stone"; it was brought to us by TuneSwap leader Daniel Schoenfeld, who learned it in turn from an early album by 'Teada'. The second reel is known as "Jenny's Wedding": taught by Lopez fiddler Matt Hummel, it is one of those classic repertoire tunes that is recognized widely but not played often enough.

anything